Conceived at the Oxford Train Depot in 1907, the Miami University Men's Glee Club has since become one of the most respected collegiate choruses in the world.
In 1906, Dr. Raymond Burke began his career as a geology professor at Miami University. Previously a part of the Oberlin Glee Club, Burke wanted to see a similar group at Miami. Fortunately for Burke, then university President Dr. Guy Potter Benton had a similar vision for a Miami Glee Club. In January 1907, Burke was offered a new position. Benton mentioned the formation of the Glee Club, which Burke willingly obliged to heading. The future of the Miami Men's Glee Club had begun.
The first Glee Club only had eight members; two for each vocal part. However, it rivaled in popularity with the accomplished Miami football team. Burke began his search for more singers in fraternities because that was where many of the "better singers" were.
The following year, Burke developed a "top secret" tune that the Club would present at their first concert, on February 28, 1908. The song became the Miami Fight Song we know today. Now with membership at "21 strong", that night at Benton Hall (now Hall Auditorium) was something to behold. Following the success of the new fight song, Burke began a project of creating a meaningful Alma Mater, premiering it in 1912. Both of these pieces have sustained for the past 100-plus years at Miami and continue to be part of the traditional set of club.
Today, the Glee Club is led by Dr. Jeremy D. Jones the director of the group. The chorus of approximately 100 men is led by Dr. Jones and an accomplished executive leadership board.